$3 Per Year Web Hosting

Sunday 6 August 2023

How to Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift

Saying “thank you” when you get an unexpected gift is all well and good, but how can you get a little creative with your appreciation? As it turns out, there are lots of ways to express gratitude to others while remaining gracious and sincere. Whether you received a surprise gift from a friend, coworker, family member, or partner, we’ll show you how to say thank you in an exciting and meaningful way!

This article is based on an interview with our professional etiquette coach, Tami Claytor, owner of Always Appropriate Image and Etiquette Consulting.

[Edit]Steps

[Edit]Sample Texts and Letter to Say Thank You for a Gift

[Edit]“I appreciate this.”

  1. Be specific about what you appreciate and why. A great “thank you” involves expressing appreciation for the gift and explaining why you’re grateful. For added value, you can even describe what you’ll do with their gift (if you have an idea.)[1]
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 1.jpg
    • “I appreciate that you went out of your way to surprise me with these tickets! I can’t wait to go to the concert.”
    • “I really appreciate you sending an Amazon gift card for my birthday. I’ve had my eye on this one video game, and now I can’t wait to play it!”

[Edit]“You’ve made my day!”

  1. Show them that their surprise gift turned your day around. Telling someone that they made your day makes the gift feel that much more meaningful and worthwhile in their eyes. They’ll be pleased that they were able to make you smile.
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 2.jpg
    • “Your surprise brought me so much joy. I love it!”
    • “You’ve made an ordinary day extraordinary. Thank you!”

[Edit]“I’m so grateful!”

  1. Get right to the point by telling them how grateful you are and why. Not only is “I’m grateful” an easy substitute for “thanks,” but expressing gratitude is also a great way to build up your relationships with friends, partners, and even work friends who surprise you. This is because it makes them feel seen and appreciated.
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 3.jpg
    • “I’m grateful to have a friend like you. Not just anyone would surprise me like this!”
    • “I’m thankful to have you as a partner every day—and surprise gifts are just the cherry on top!”

[Edit]“It’s like you read my mind! Thank you.”

  1. Compliment their gift-giving skills. When someone gives you an unexpected gift, it can feel like they really know you and are anticipating your needs without you even having to ask![2] Show them how touched you are by letting them know that their gift was exactly what you wanted.
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 4.jpg
    • “I love it! How did you know?”
    • “Oh, wow, I had been wanting this! You know me so well, thank you.”

[Edit]“This is incredible! My jaw is on the floor.”

  1. Show them how surprised you are. If someone went out of their way to give you an unexpected gift, make sure they know they succeeded in their mission to surprise and delight you. Say “thanks” and express your shock at the same time.
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 5.jpg
    • “You should’ve seen me; my eyes almost popped out of my head! Thank you for the lovely surprise.”
    • “Not gonna lie, you definitely surprised me! And I enjoyed every minute of it. Thanks!”

[Edit]“Thank you for taking the time to get this.”

  1. Acknowledge the time they spent getting you the gift. Remember that time is precious, and when people choose to spend time making you happy, it’s yet another gift that they give you.[3] Show them that you appreciate every aspect of their surprise gift beyond just the gift itself.
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 6.jpg
    • “You did all this? Thank you for taking the time to make it happen!”
    • “I appreciate you taking the time to surprise me with dinner!”

[Edit]“You do so much for me.”

  1. Recognize all of the efforts they put into making you happy. If you’ve got a steadfast friend, caring parent, or devoted partner, acknowledging their hard work makes them more willing to surprise you again in the future.[4] For example:
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 7.jpg
    • “I want you to know that I see and appreciate everything you do for me. This was so thoughtful!”
    • “You always go out of your way to make me smile. Thank you!”

[Edit]“You’re too kind!”

  1. Pay them a compliment as part of your thank you. Let them know how sweet and thoughtful you think they are, or list one of their other positive traits. If you’re writing a note, including a quick compliment is also a thoughtful addition to your message.[5]
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 8.jpg
    • “You’re such a lovely person. Thank you!”
    • “I knew you were considerate, but this is above and beyond! I appreciate the surprise.”

[Edit]“Thanks for thinking of me during this difficult time.”

  1. Show gratitude to people who help you after you experience loss. They might give you food, a gift to make you feel better, or even contribute money to help you out. Offer a simple and sincere “thank you” when someone unexpectedly shows you kindness.
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 9.jpg
    • “This is a hard time for me, and I really appreciate you making it easier.”
    • “I’ll probably be a little quiet for the moment, but I want you to know that your gift was truly appreciated. Thank you.”

[Edit]“I’ll treasure this gift!”

  1. If the surprise was pricey or extravagant, acknowledge their generosity. Tell them that it’s one of the nicest gifts you’ve ever received and that you’ll take great care of it (if it’s an object). When someone gives you a gift that takes your breath away, show them that you appreciate how special and one-of-a-kind it is.
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 10.jpg
    • You made this necklace by hand? It’s incredible! This has to be one of the nicest gifts I’ve ever gotten.”
    • “I’ll treasure every minute of our weekend getaway. Thank you again for these tickets—I’m in awe of your generosity!”

[Edit]“I’ll think of you every time I see it.”

  1. Tell this person that you’ll always associate the gift with their kindness. Gifts can be powerful reminders of your relationships with other people and help the connection feel strong even when you’re apart. Knowing that you’re warmly thinking of them each day will make this person feel appreciated!
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 11.jpg
    • “This blanket is so soft—every time I use it, it feels like I’m cuddling up with you.”
    • “Every time I look at this bracelet, I think about you and how much I love you!”

[Edit]“Your friendship is so important to me!”

  1. Mention how much you value this person’s support and encouragement. This response works for gifts on important milestones in life—for example, when someone surprises you after you graduate, start a new job, move into a new apartment, or retire. Thank them for sticking by you and believing in you, and let them know that you’ll put their gift to good use.[6]
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 12.jpg
    • “I’m so grateful for your support and friendship over the years!”
    • “We’ve been through so much together, and you’ve supported me at every turn. Thank you!”

[Edit]“I can’t thank you enough.”

  1. Use this when you don’t know how to express all the gratitude you feel. It’s easy to be lost for words or feel like “thank you” is inadequate when someone gives you a gift that you weren’t expecting, but it’s also okay to let them know how speechless (and happy) you are. For example:
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 13.jpg
    • “I’m speechless! This is so thoughtful of you.”
    • “‘Thank you’ doesn’t feel like enough, but I’m truly so thankful! You’re the best.”

[Edit]“This means the world to me!”

  1. Tell them how much their surprise matters to you. Some people think gift-giving is a materialistic way to show love and affection, but surprising loved ones with personalized gifts is also a highly emotional gesture. When you get a gift like that, it’ll make the gift-giver happy to know that the gift has such value in your eyes.
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 14.jpg
    • “Just knowing that you did this for me means everything. Thank you!”
    • “This is the sweetest gift I’ve ever gotten. It means so much to me, knowing it came from you!”

[Edit]“Thank you, my love!”

  1. Add some extra affection when you’re thanking a partner. Giving gifts is one of the 5 love languages, so if your partner gives you an unexpected gift, it’s one way for them to say, “I love you.” Return the sentiment when you thank them for their thoughtful surprise.[7]
    Say Thank You for an Unexpected Gift Step 15.jpg
    • “Thank you for being such a thoughtful partner. I love you!”
    • “I love you too. This is an awesome surprise!”


[Edit]References

  1. [v161576_b01]. 29 September 2020.
  2. [v162026_b01]. 24 November 2021
  3. [v161576_b01]. 29 September 2020.
  4. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/between-you-and-me/202106/3-ways-improve-how-you-say-thank-you-your-partner
  5. [v161576_b01]. 29 September 2020.
  6. https://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/giving-thanks-can-make-you-happier
  7. [v161006_b01]. 6 March 2019.


from How to of the Day https://ift.tt/CHARu2m
via Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment

$3 Per Year Web Hosting